The Water and Land Management Training And Research Institute
(WALAMTARI) was established in the year 1983 under World Bank aided
project by the erstwhile Government of Andhra pradesh to impart
training to the in-service engineers involved in the activities of
Irrigation and Command Area Development,Agriculture officials of
Agriculture Department and farmers.It was registered as a
Society in the year 1992, under the Societies Registration Act.
WALAMTARI is envisaged to function as a Center of Excellence
in water and land management training and research in general and
Participatory Irrigation Management (PIM) in particular. It
addresses the training needs of engineers in the fields of
planning, investigation, design, construction, operation &
maintenance and application of Information Technology and also carries
out training and research activities in
Agriculture field on optimum water utilization and increase in crop
The institute comprises of two wings namely, Engineering and
Agriculture. The training programmes are focussed on aspects
related to engineering, agriculture as well as a combination of
both. The Institute is recognised as one of the only four Class-I
Institutes in the state of Telangana
and is widely known in India and outside for the activities under
Participatory Irrigation Management (PIM).
Objectives and Roles
- To provide Capacity Building services to the various wings
of the Irrigation and Command Area Development (I & CAD)
department, Agriculture Department ,Telangana State Irrigation Development
Corporation(TSIDC) and Ground Water Department (GWD)
- To organize Induction Training to the newly recruited
engineers of I & CAD Department.
- To organize refresher / post promotion training to the
recently promoted engineers of the department.
- To arrange National / Regional seminars and workshops on
key issues of irrigation for the benefit of Senior level officers
(CE's/SE's/EE's) of the department.
- To develop training modules on new emerging technology
like use of GIS and Total Station in irrigation.
- Carry out project work, consultancies, evaluation and
impact assessment of the State as well as Central government
- Enhance understanding of Engineers and Farmers on the link
between Water Management and Crop Productivity.
- Build sustainable institutions of the farmers by
conducting training for the Farmer's Organizations like Water
Users Associations (WUA), Distributory Committees (DC) and the
Project Committees (PC).
- Undertake on-farm research on various aspects of
irrigation water management and crop productivity.
- Undertake third party evaluation of micro irrigation
- Evaluating the Water Use Efficiency of Medium Irrigation
projects both in the state of Telangana and Andhra Pardesh
- Bring out publications /documents based on field
experience and ensure effective knowledge sharing.
The Institute is headed by the Director General (DG) in the
rank of Engineer-in-Chief (ENC)/Chief Engineer supported by Directors from
Engineering and Agricultural fields and faculty members
representing from various ranks and specialization.
The Institute has well trained faculty trained in DTS and DOT
courses. In addition, they are also trained on Participatory
Training Methods (PTM). The guest faculty comprises of academicians
and scientists of eminence from premier research centers and
universities in India, as well as practicing professionals from the
department and Government as well as non-Governmental
- WALAMTARI has robust infrastructure with three class rooms
each with a seating capacity of 40 participants, one main
auditorium with a seating capacity of 100 participants and a mini
auditorium with a seating capacity of 40 participants for
conducting classes and workshops/seminars.
- There are two computer labs with 50 systems under each lab which serve
the purpose of computer related trainings.
- Trainees are accommodated in Hostel and Residential
quarters in a home like environment. Presently Walamtari has an
accommodation capacity of 200 participants.
- A library with over 10,000 titles serves the academic
needs of the faculty and the trainees. It is equipped with Lib Sys
package for efficient search and retrieval of references.
- An indoor stadium with two shuttle courts and two table
tennis courts is available for the trainees.